Updated May 17, 2022
This database is a sortable table of plants that are toxic to A species or specific breed of animal that is raised by humans for the use of their bodies or what comes from their bodies., compiled by The Open Sanctuary Project.
In this database, you’ll find a list of plants, the animal species likely afflicted by them, a list of potential symptoms, the toxicity cause of the plant, and a distribution listing searchable by region.
To learn more about other toxic or harmful things to protect individual species against, check out our species-specific “Things That Toxic To” resources.
Using The Database
While you can click through individual plants in this database to see more information, this database can be easily filtered to sort out plants that are irrelevant to your search. Use the filter button in the top left corner of either view to quickly sort the data.
The Global Toxic Plant Database- Photo View
This database is a compilation of a large number of sources. Potential symptoms are sourced from:
- The Colorado State University Guide To Poisonous Plants
- Horse DVM
- Poultry DVM
- The Ontario Ministry Of Agriculture
- Washington State Department Of Agriculture
- Ohio State University
- The University Of Arkansas
- The Cornell Department Of Animal Science
- The Merck Veterinary Manual
- The Vermont Llama And Alpaca Association
- The Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System
- The US Department Of Agriculture
- The FDA Poisonous Plant Database
Plant Distribution information is sourced from the Royal Botanic Garden. Photo credits can be found with each plant, though they are all licensed either through Creative Commons, GFDL, or are Public Domain. If you are the owner of a photo and you would like it removed, please contact us.