Video Resource: Effective Boards For Animal Sanctuaries
Check out this roundtable discussion hosted by The Global Coalition of Farm Sanctuaries and led by Krista Hiddema about the basics of board governance for sanctuaries in the United States and Canada! Krista’s discussion covers many critical topics about boards as they pertain to nonprofit and charity organizations, including board meetings, committees, board development, board-ED relations, program evaluation, the importance of undergoing a board self-assessment, fundraising, and much more!
Effective Boards For Sanctuaries Presentation Slides
Click here to access a PDF of Krista’s slides in the Video Resource above!
Selected BoardSource Community Resources
The following external links are all a part of BoardSource’s free community resources. We highly recommend giving them a read and considering joining BoardSource as a member for access to more advanced materials all about good governance!
Getting Started With Boards
- Forming the Nonprofit’s First Board
- Board Member Job Description Template
- Board Recruitment: Are you focused on the right things?
- Board Orientation
- Nonprofit Board Orientation Checklist
General Board Recommendations And Frequently Asked Questions
- Board Responsibilities and Structures FAQ
- A Nonprofit Board’s Dynamics and Processes — FAQs
- Recommended Board Practices
- Checklist of Board Roles and Responsibilities
- Board Meetings – FAQs (Including Sunshine Laws)
- Sunshine Laws
Board Policies And Templates
Board Fundraising Basics
- Board Members and Personal Contributions
- Board Fundraising Policy: Key Elements, Practical Tips, and Sample Policy
Other Helpful Board Resources
- Advisory Councils: Nine Keys to Success
- The Role of the Board Chair
- Board-Staff Interaction: What’s Acceptable, What’s Not?
- The Four Ws (and an H) of Board Self-Assessment
The Animal Defense Partnership’s Model Bylaws Template
Board By-Laws should be considered a critical part of your organization’s documentation. Animal Defense Partnership has compiled a free, editable template of model board bylaws to help your sanctuary board get started and thinking critically about how to organize, conduct board operations, and effectively provide governance! Before putting any bylaws into use, we strongly suggest that you work with an attorney who knows the legal requirements of your sanctuary’s region to review the document.
Enter either your organization’s name or your name and email below to download the template and get started!
We promise not to use your email for any marketing purposes!